ReSolve Riffs with Rob Van Wielingen on Systematic All Weather Investing
- The Van Wielingen family background in the oil and gas industry
- Rob’s decision at an early age to focus on finance and technology
- Learning from his grandfather’s experience: “I know what it’s like to be rich – I’ve been rich three times”
- How the family gradually moved from highly concentrated allocations in energy companies to diversified portfolios
- The logical fallacy of active vs passive as the starting point for rethinking their investment approach
- Why the path to becoming rich is diametrically opposed to that of staying rich
- Trial by fire – launching the business during the Great Financial Crisis
- From rudimentary spreadsheets to ‘full blown quant’
- The trouble with lagged and infrequent data
- Embracing the ideas of Return Stacking
- The differences between Risk Parity and Risk Budgeting
- Recursive Risk Parity – drawing the best ideas from different approaches
- Human nature vs systematic approaches
- Carry, Trend, and how asset allocation can be both relative and absolute
- And more
This is “ReSolve’s Riffs” – live on YouTube every Friday afternoon to debate the most relevant investment topics of the day, hosted by Adam Butler, Mike Philbrick and Rodrigo Gordillo of ReSolve Global* and Richard Laterman of ReSolve Asset Management Inc.
President & CEO, Viewpoint
Rob Van Wielingen is President & CEO of Viewpoint Investment Partners Corporation (Viewpoint). With deep knowledge of systematic investment strategies, behavioural finance, and financial markets, Rob is passionate about increasing transparency and accessibility for investors.
Rob has extensive experience in the portfolio management and technology sectors. He has been with Viewpoint Group since 2010, where he has managed multi-asset, real estate, energy, alternative, and public market portfolios. He holds a Bachelor of Commerce with Distinction from the University of Victoria, is a CFA Charterholder, and is a registered Portfolio Manager.
*ReSolve Global refers to ReSolve Asset Management SEZC (Cayman) which is registered with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission as a commodity trading advisor and commodity pool operator. This registration is administered through the National Futures Association (“NFA”). Further, ReSolve Global is a registered person with the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority.